Briarlake Elementary School
Briarlake Elementary School is located in Decatur, DeKalb County, Georgia. Briarlake has been educating the children in our community for over 50 years. We have Pre-K - 5th grades. Briarlake is a 2002 Georgia School of Excellence and has been awarded the 2003 Parent Involvement School of Excellence by the National PTA.
Briarlake is a small neighborhood school with a wonderful staff supported by our parents and the community. Our PTA organizes events and activities throughout the year. We hope all of our families will find ways to be involved and participate.
Briarlake Family Handbook
Emory LaVista Parent Council Presents: A Parent's Guide to the Georgia Milestones
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at
Henderson Middle School
2830 Henderson Mill Rd, Tucker, GA 30341
Refreshments at 8:45 AM, meeting begins at 9:15 AM
Now that the CRCT has been retired, our children will be taking the new Georgia Milestones Assessment (GMA). Did you know...?
The GMA is a new test and not a reinvention of the CRCT.
The GMA will replace the CRCT, EOCT and Writing Assessment beginning with the 2014-2015 school year.
The 3rd, 5th, and 8th grade Writing Assessment and the CRCT-M will no longer be administered.
There will be norm-referenced items on the GMA at every grade level and content area to provide a national comparison.
THERE WILL OPEN ENDED AND CONSTRUCTED RESPONSE TYPE ITEMS ON THE TEST AS AS WELL!
Join ELPC at our November meeting to find out more!
10/27-31, Red Ribbon Week at school
10/31, Book Character Parade
11/10-18, Book Fair
11/11, PTA Meeting, 7:45 am
11/13, Thanksgiving Lunch, PreK, 3rd, 4th & 5th grades
11/14, Thanksgiving Lunch, K, 1 & 2nd grades
11/17, Progress Reports Issued
11/18, PTA Storytelling Night w/ Magician Ken Scott
11/19, ELPC Meeting, 9:15am Henderson Middle School
11/24-28, Thanksgiving Holidays, No School
PTA Expense Reimbursement Form
Listen to WSB for DeKalb Schools weather related information.
Briarlake Facebook Page
another Briarlake Facebook Page check out the photos
Fall Festival - Thanks for stopping by, it was a wonderful day!
- Red Ribbon Week. Briarlake is celebrating Red Ribbon Week October 27th - 31st, 2014. Students and staff are encouraged to participate each day. Friday, Oct. 31st – “Stomp out Drugs” – Wear mismatched shoes
- Students in grades PK-2 will participate in the Storybook Character Parade on Friday, October 31, beginning at 8:15am. Students are asked to select a favorite book and dress up like one of the main characters. Don't forget to bring the book along! Students will parade up the hall, around the cafeteria and back down to class. Please stick to the storybook theme...no Halloween costumes please.
- Book Fair coming to Briarlake - November 11-18. Read all about it here.
- Georgia Milestones Resources for families
- Infinite Campus: Flyer on our new Infinite Campus - Parent Portal. Visit the Briarlake School Information page for instructions.
- School starts at 7:45 am and ends at 2:15 pm. PLEASE do NOT turn left into the school driveways. Figure out your car route so you do not have to turn left into the school grounds. NO LEFT TURNS!
- We now have a Twitter account! We will be using the account for reminders about school events, announcements, weather alerts and more! Download the Twitter app and then search for Briarlake Elementary School. Follow us to keep up to date with all the great things going on at our school! @BriarlakeES
- Microsoft Student Advantage Program This program provides free access to Office 365 Pro Plus for students currently enrolled in the DeKalb County Student District. DCSD students may download and install Office 365 Pro applications on up to 5 devices (PC, MAC, and/or mobile device). For more information: vist the DCSD Website: more information
- Comcast Essentials Program This program offers home Internet service for only $9.95 a month for families living within the Comcast service area. To qualify for this program, at least one child in the family must qualify for the free and reduced lunch program. Comcast flyer
- DeKalb County School District App It is available on the DCSD website.
- DeKalb County School District Calendar for the 2014-15 schoolyear is now posted. Click here to see it.
- International Parent Outreach Program is the county's continuous effort to increase parental engagement among our culturally and linguistically diverse community, the EL Program is pleased to announce the start of this year's Parent Outreach Program. This program offers PHLOTE parents (parents whose primary home language is other than English) the opportunity to learn English, computer literacy and school culture. Please see the flyer/registration forms available here.
- Please turn off your cell phones during morning and afternoon carpool.
- Briarlake weekly updates ....sign up is available on the left side of this page. Great information comes out weekly during the school year! This is our newsletter, so sign up now!
- School Hours: 7:45 am - 2:15 pm. Building opens at 7:00 am for student arrival.
- Lunch menus are posted here.
CARPOOL - MAP and Directions here
Cell Tower News - Be sure to stay informed by going to www.noBriarlaketower.org website or checking out their facebook page.
- There are no left turns into the school grounds from Briarlake Road.
- PLEASE display name signs until your child is safely in your car. Using a "skirt/pant" hanger on the mirror of the car is a great idea!!! All students should be picked up by 2:45 at the latest. Thank you for helping keep our children safe.
- Turn your cell phones off while dropping off or picking up your children as well as in the school building!